Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Sometimes It's Necessary to Go a Long Distance Out of the Way in Order to Come Back a Short Distance Correctly.

I used to hate that quote from "Zoo Story." Actually, that's not true. I was afraid of it. Whenever I would explain my ambitious plan of moving to New York immediately following graduation, people explained that waiting a bit and being practical was probably the best way to go. I would always immediately say something along the lines of "I'm doing it. I have to be in New York." The message that the Albee quote is sending is that not every path has to go directly to where you want to end up. I hated the idea of not doing exactly what I had planned for so long. I knew what I was going to do and I had to do it immediately.

Since then, however, that quote has sort of become my mantra. For financial reasons, I have remained in DC. I've always enjoyed DC, but I never thought that it possessed whatever that thing is that New York has. That thing that causes New York composers and filmmakers to create works solely about their beloved city. Is there a song that goes "DC, DC, a hell of a town!" No. But there is something amazing about DC. It's pretty frequently that I find some new area in DC that I love. I guess I never really gave it a chance until I had to. The reason that the Albee quote rings so true right now is that I haven't gotten to the place I've always dreamed I would be. I'm still living at home and working in DC. But I'm making money and taking acting and singing lessons, things that will serve me well whenever I choose to move to New York. The rational part of my brain tells me time and time again that I should wait until I'm fully ready to move. Wait until I've secured a job or an apartment or a performance opportunity.

I honestly have no clue when the move will happen. And I'm getting depressed now thinking about the reality that it may never happen...or at least not for a while. But because I love New York so much, and because I've always planned on being there, I know it has to happen. Maybe not this year, maybe not next year. Maybe not even by the time I'm 25. But I'll get there some how. I owe it to myself.

Sometimes it's necessary to go a long distance out of the way in order to come back a short distance correctly.

No comments: